Of Princedom and the Kingdom of Heaven
The laying of the foundation stone of the Carolingian abbey church has been determined as being 822. It was a three-aisled basilica with a square chancel and a chapel annex. The church was consecrated in 844. Prior to 873, this building was extended with transverse arms and a new chancel.
According to the Corvey annals, between 873 and 885 a three-tower complex was built. In the years 1145 to 1159, under Abbot Wibald von Stablo, the remodelling of the three-tower complex was carried out to the still existing double-tower facade; this included the removal of the central tower and the addition of storeys to the two facade towers. Between 1585 and 1616, there was a second major conversion under Abbot Theodor von Beringhausen. Work and renovation to the towers’ gables and hoods was undertaken.
The Thirty Years’ War led to the downfall of the Carolingian abbey church. With the exception of the westwork, the church was demolished in 1665. The building of the new church took place from 1667 to 1671 and was mainly designed by the Capuchin priest, Polykarp, and the architect, Niclas Dentel. The final consecration took place in 1683.
The Carolingian abbey buildings were severely damaged during the Thirty Years’ War. The rebuilding of the abbey began in 1699 under Abbot Florenz von dem Felde and was completed in 1714 under Abbot Maximilian von Horrich. Under the following abbots, Carl von Blittersdorf and Caspar von Böselager, the front building with its clock tower and gate, the carriage house (Justus Wehmer, 1730), as well as the Tea House (Franz Christoph Nagel, 1741) were built.
Numbers Dates Facts
|844||The first stone church in Corvey was consecrated|
|1145||Remodelling of the westwork|
|1699||Nybygning af abbediet som barok residens|